7 Tips on how to detect phishing e-mail scams:
1. Read the e-mail address carefully and don't trust the 'display' name. It is easy to make a false e-mail address with the same display name as someone you know and trust.
2. Trust your instinct! If something in the e-mail looks off even when the e-mail address is correct, don't reply.
3. Don't click links in e-mails you are concerned about.
4. Check for grammar and spelling errors as a sign of a false e-mail.
5. Don't download attachments as those could lead to a virus on your computer.
6. An immediate 'call to action' such as 'update password immediately' is a red flag for a phishing e-mail.
7. Don't send your personal information through e-mail. Instead, login to the website and update through a secure site.